Wednesday, December 7

Our own personal musical: A review of sorts.

We can all agree that there is that one song that, at just the right time, makes perfect sense no matter how many times we've listened to it. In that moment, the feeling of understanding and peace seem to all come together and make everything disappear even if for just the 3-5 min period. After that first time of song "relation" every time after that, the song becomes the story of our life.
Over my short 25 years, it seems there is that one song that fits perfectly in each one of them.  Whether it's happy, sad or angry, I've always been able to fit my year into a song. Last year it was Wake Up and Smell the Coffee by The Cranberries (not just because of the age reference but because it seemed to fit with my true feelings). And why should this year's song be any different. What's Up by 4 Non Blondes is iconic to mid 90's college types dealing with the impending thought that not only have they just battled through college and high school, a Bush administration, the death of Kurt Cobain, and the onslaught terror that will be Don't Ask Don't Tell, and because it makes them beg the question "What's going on?".



Yes, being 25 does help me relate to this song, and I too like those now knocking on 40's door, have survived a Bush administration, seen the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and even felt heartbroken by the death of the "King of Pop". Only I'm the one wondering where is my life taking me, and what's really going on.
So what about all the songs in between? Looking at my current playlist on my ipod I find many songs that have held some sort of meaning to me throughout the year, and the songs to come are only a sample of those moments.
Dance Without You by Skylar Grey



Though she wrote this song in reference to the music industry, we can all make the connection in our lives with that job that we feel pressured into doing, being forced to live out a family dream, or even waking up every morning and dreading the idea of being around our friends who may or may not be as unhappy as we are. As for me, I just want to break the evil thoughts of not being good enough to everyone I know and my own insecurities.

Mississippi Goddamn by the amazingly talented and strong will Nina Simone.


 Even decades later this song can mean so much. Having been originally written about civil rights in the 1960's, I feel this song is even present in today's culture, with a different group of people fighting for their equal rights and hearing about others being killed, if not the teen suicides that happen everyday because of someone's cruelty. In the lyrics themselves it says 'You don't have to live next to me, just give me my equality', how different are we now then in the height of the Civil Rights Movement.

And finally how could I forget the one song that has stuck by me throughout the whole year of 2011, Truth By Alexander (formally of Ima Robot and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)



This song came in a very close tie with What's Up, It made perfect sense the first time I heard it. As humans we are always trying to find the truth of who we are and simply understand the world around us. At some point we all take that much needed step back to refocus and really get to know who we are before we make that leap into the real world. This song is a perfect example of that.

'I've seen a million numbered doors on the horizon
Now which is the future you chosen before you gone dying'

Throughout our time we have many things that inspire us, whether it be painters, writers, actors, musicians, our parents, teachers, or even just nature. Within them not only do we see a future but also a glimmer of hope that maybe one day, we can be an inspiration to another person.We may never get to where we want in this world, but one thing is for sure, someone will be inspired and write a song that will fit just nicely.

No comments: