Friday, November 30

The Course of a year and helping of Soup

It's amazing what a year can bring. So much has happened that actually having time to stop and blog about was almost impossible. I hope this year found everyone healthy and in great spirits. As for my little family, we have had our ups and downs. We added a new member to our family, Oscar, the youngest of our two furry children.

 He's a meowing terror who loves drinking water out of the bathroom sink, and upon rescue we found out he had a broken tail. Thankfully it wasn't anything to severe and he still has a tail, a long fluffy one in fact.

On the downside, I lost my my mother to cancer this year. It was a long fight but she stayed strong till the end. I'm very thankful my wife was finally moved home to be here for not only me but her as well. Shortly after my last blog we moved my mother to a nursing home near me in Omaha, so I could look after her and spend time with her since I'd been in Branson for so long. It wasn't until March of this year that she passed, so in hinesight I did get to spend a few good months with her.
 She was my biggest fan and my worst critic. Always pushing me to be the best I can be and to kind and generous with others. And while we're deep in the holiday spirit, it's hard to imagine not having Christmas with her or even delivering meals to all the shut ins back home. But this will be the first Christmas I will get to spend with my wife of Two years, and that makes all the difference.
On a much brighter note, I finally got to see my all time favorite band The Cranberries. The last week of February they released their first album since they had got back together Roses. The closest they came was Chicago and it happened to be the week after my birthday. What better way to celebrate being 26 then seeing the band I've been in love with for 20 of those years. Here is the first single off the album, it's one of my top songs from the album.


I also had a chance to see one of my favorite Canadian artists LIGHTS here in Omaha, in fact down the street from where I live. That alone was awesome. One of my favorite perks about living in a big city especially one that houses indie so well.


Probably the biggest change we've had this year was the decision to go Vegetarian. Let me say, that is no easy feat. Even during the holiday season, we have made exceptions. In the big picture, we have really watched what we have eaten, and are making healthy choices [despite my love of chocolate and sweets].
One of my favorite go to things is soup. I could it almost everyday. My number one is French Onion. Usually every time I go to Panera I always get the French Onion and some kind of sandwich. However, the base ingredient aside from onion is beef stock which is completely out of the question at our house. I knew there had to be some way I could emulate the flavor and still have this delicious classic.
While at one of my many adventures to Whole Foods, I was looking for a veggie stock base that I could use for most of my soups at home with out having to buy the veggies or even use cans [I make A LOT of soup so buying cans is way to expensive]. I found Better then Bouillion Vegetable Base. I feel in love. It just tastes like French Onion soup, and I knew I had to find a way to make it work.
So I scouted the net, looking for the answer, and I proved successful. For my first attempt I was amazed at the out come. And with a little sprinkle of Smoked Mozzarella and a baguette life was complete. I made a few tweeks to the recipe [not major ones, but indeed worth it].


Vegan French Onion Soup
Time; 1Hr 20 Mins
Servings; 4 


  • 2Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil [I used Devo Olive Oil Hojiblanca-Intenso]
  • 3 large White/Yellow Onions, Sliced thin into half moons
  • 3 Sprigs thyme or 1/2tsp dried
  • 2 Tbs Aged Balsamic Vinegar [I used Lavender Balsamic, but you could use just a plain 18yr]
  • 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
  • 2 Cups Water
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1/2tsp Ground black pepper

Garnish;
Bagutte
Shredded Mozzarella

Directions;

Heat 1Tbs EVOO over medium heat, in a large pot or dutch oven. Add onions, thyme 1tsp salt, 1Tbs EVOO over onions, lower heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until caramelized and light golden about 30-50 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, and cook until absorbed and onions are a deeper brown, about 15 minutes. Then add stock, water, bay leaf, remaining pepper, and bring to a boil, turn heat to low and let simmer at least 30 minutes.
To garnish, place in soup bowls, place a slice of  baguette in soup and top with cheese, heat under a broiller for 2 min or until cheese is bubbly.



This recipe was easier then I thought it would be, it was a great achievement with many more to come.
In the future I plan on sharing all of my vegetarian adventures, and all the recipes that come with it.
It's been a great journey and I've enjoyed the fruits of my labors and I hope you all do as well.

No comments: